Saturday, December 13, 2008

Where have all the happy people gone?

I can remember being about 5 or so and jumping in the car to drive around and look at Christmas lights. There were neighborhoods that you literally had to park your car a block away and walk them because there were so many people there to look at them. I also remember neighborhoods that you couldn't buy a house unless you signed a form or contract stating that you would decorate your house for Christmas. I miss those days. I am so disappointed in people now. It is so much fun seeing the houses decorated because of all the uniformity in this damn city and their houses, the lights are different with each place you drive by. Christmas decorations on houses are like snowflakes, no two are the same. It makes them unique and it makes them beautiful. I always wanted to have one of those houses that people made it a point to drive by. This is what we have so far. I see us as the Griswolds when they first got married. Just starting out! We have a dry river bed through the yard and that's where we put the blue lights. I am bound and determined to have reindeer by next Christmas to be drinking out of the river! What's really sad is that we just pulled up almost every plant in our front yard. I kind of think that subconciously I did that just so I would have more room for Christmas lights and decorations!! We're not even done with the yard yet. I have more candy canes to put out and the front patio is looking a little dark to me, but we'll get there before Christmas. Yes I know, they may not be up for very long but at least I put them up! As much stress as I am usually under during the Christmas season I still have the Christmas spirit. I love the holidays and I can't wait for them every year. See? I even start my kids on it really young!!!! Cheyenne seems to be drawn to the lights just like her mommy! Think I have enough lights in my front yard? Christmas is just a very happy time and people generally become a little more generous and a little less rude during this time of year and I think that's the way that it should be all year long but since I can't have it that way I will settle for one month of it. It looks like the happy people have gone though. They seem to have lost their Christmas spirit that I look forward to every year. Maybe it's just my neighborhood, how's your Christmas spirit?




1 comment:

  1. ahahah the griswalds how funny are you i love xmas but i dont decorate my outside as much as the inside of my house lol

    ReplyDelete